Summary of Learning Outcomes and Assessment
For our purposes at USU we divide the Physics BS degree Learning
Outcomes into the following areas:
* Physics Concepts
* Problem solving and Mathematical Analysis
* Laboratory Skills
* Computer skills
* Research Skills
* Communication skills
Details on these outcomes and associated competencies and
benchmarks can be found here.
* Progress towards these outcomes is assessed in the usual ways on
a course by course basis. See this mapping
of outcomes to courses.
* These outcomes are verified using a capstone class - "Research
in Physics", which all majors must take. Mentors evaluate
the degree to which these outcomes are achieved.
* These outcomes are examined by the students during a exit
interview with the department head. This interview includes a
questionnaire which evaluates these outcomes.
* Faculty are encouraged to make use of these outcomes when making
their IDEA course evaluations outcome choices.